Friday, June 8, 2012

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things...

As my birthday comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on my many birthday celebrations of the past twenty-seven years. I catch myself looking back to my 10th birthday when my heart raced with excitement as I set up the karaoke machine and serenaded my 4th grade crush wearing a Tweety-Bird bathing suit and some terribly hideous jean shorts. I remember my 16th birthday when, by the grace of God, I somehow managed to pass my driving test (I do think that Tommy’s Daddy STILL wonders if that should have ever happened). I barely remember my 21st birthday. And of course, there was my 25th birthday when I really knew I was Tommy’s Mommy as I proudly carried him beneath my maternity tank top and shorts. No matter which year, each birthday brought the same sense of excitement and the anticipation always built as the calendar flipped to June. This birthday was no exception.

June 8, 2012 marked my 27th birthday and brought excitement for the beginning and end of a few things: the end of my teaching year (actually, the FIFTH of my career), the beginning of a summer filled with Tommy, the beginning of more time to spend with family and friends, the end of sending Tommy off to the babysitter (at least till August), the end of early morning wake-ups, the beginning of warm weather…oh, and I shouldn’t forget, the beginning of this special blog.

This morning, I woke up at 7:15 to my baby boy yelling my name – he was ready to get out of bed and get our day started. He requested a quick “rocky, rocky” in the chair and a “snuggle” in Mommy and Daddy’s bed before we headed downstairs to have some chocolate milk and Mickey Mouse. It wasn’t long before Tommy’s Auntie Hope returned to our house with a delicious, celebratory, Raspberry Mocha and Coffee Cake and… Polito Landscaping was knocking at our door, pulling their trucks in the driveway and beautifying our entire front and back yards. Tommy’s Daddy gave me a big birthday hug and headed out the door to work. And with that, my birthday had already taken off…and to a pretty awesome start.

Cards had arrived in the mail throughout the week. Phone calls and texts buzzed in during the day. Facebook kept notifying me that people were “posting” birthday messages on my wall. Neighbors, co-workers, friends and family members were taking time out of their busy day to let me know that they were thinking about me. Not only did I receive calls, texts and messages, our family came over to enjoy a Mitchell’s Ice Cream Pie…and they so kindly came bearing gifts. The gifts were amazing. A sewing machine. A home decoration. A bike trailer. A piece of my fine china. A gift card. And the cards, oh, the cards! Each card I read was so sweet and thoughtful. I really felt loved. Everyone was really pulling at Tommy’s Mommy’s heartstrings this birthday.

The messages, the cards, the gifts, the company all made me swell with gratitude…and, there
was one birthday gift that could not be topped!
 

Thank you, Tommy's Cousin, Jessie Bagwell (Soon to be McCarntey), for asking me to serve as the Maid of Honor for your wedding day. I am glowing with excitement to be able to play such a special role in making your day complete.  Seeing you so excited and happy has been yet another gift. 

And so...every year I will reflect upon my birthdays...and this year, #27, will mark one of those "major" life events when I can honestly say that I feel so incredibly loved. Thank you, friends and family, for the confirmation in Art Buchwald's famous quote, "The best things in life aren't things." Its been an amazing 27th birthday. It won't forget it.

2 comments:

  1. i love you sister =) you seriously are THE BEST. <3 You are truly one of a kind Ashley Marie. A-S-H-L-E-Y M-A R-I-E, Ashley Marie, Ashley Marie, she's the what? she's the GREATEST IN THE LAND! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love that you are blogging now!!!!! and that your my maid of honor!!!! and the best maid of honor EVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete